Saturday, October 11, 2014

IKEA!

We went to IKEA today. Enough said. End of post. Amen.

Okay, not really. It would be impossible not to talk about all the wonderful vastness that is the planet of Ikea and all the things that it contains. I went there with a list and a plan, and came away with several unforeseen items... and a chocolate bar. They just jumped into my arms. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get everything that caught my eye, but I got plenty of ideas, and those are always free!

But first I must premise this post with an honest opinion - I probably would not buy a ton of furniture at Ikea, because it all seems rather cheaply made to me and not very durable. I am NOT a fan of veneer particle board. That stuff NEVER holds up. And seriously - why would it? It's sawdust glued together and pasted over to look like real wood. It will never be real wood, no matter how much it wishes it was. However, there is still plenty to behold that looks expensive but is easy on the budget. Mainly all the decorations and things and stuff.


First up: Inspiration (aka things that I want)

Need this tiered cart with wheels. All of them. In all the colors! Why? I don't know. I have no idea what I would put in them, but surely I need a cart with wheels. I can figure out something to do with it. They come in pretty colors. That's enough reason. Putting it on my must have list for someday. At $49.99 these were a little bit over my impulse buy budget.


These hanging buckets. Cool! I seriously thought about buying three of the smaller containers to hang my silverware in, but I wasn't sure they would match my kitchen decor, or if they would even fit on the wall somewhere. Definitely an idea I'm putting on the list, once I figure out some more measurements. Plus, I might be able to find more options elsewhere. 


Here's another hanging basket. I really liked the industrial look of this metal bar.


I liked this night stand and thought it would go well in our bedroom. But again, it's $50 for particle board. Ew. But the esthetic is nice. I'm thinking I can find something similar and paint it the color I want.

I just about got these green metal boxes. Why? Again, I have no idea. They are cool. And came in a set of 3. Just need to figure out something to put in them.



I really love this lamp. The vintage industrial look of it is right up my alley. They also had one in gold that was tempting. 


A whole wall of perfect matching storage boxes, stacked in symmetrical harmony? Um, yes please. You know... to store all of those film photos no one develops any more. Or something.


What I Actually Got:

This little alarm clock was calling to me. It was just so cute I couldn't resist. And it was only $6 so why not? We need a clock for the bedroom anyway. Perfect for my bedside table. Although I doubt if it will get used as an alarm, since it would probably get tossed across the room and broken. No morning people in this house, folks.


Jamey really liked this old style wall clock, and we don't have one in the kitchen, so I'll probably find a place for it there. We will have no excuse for being late ever. 


Last but not least, I got one of these metal lace containers. It's supposed to be a planter, but since plants don't have a very long lifespan at my house, I will repurpose it for something else. Probably to hold pens and pencils. It is so adorable I wanted to get all of them. But I restrained myself and got one. I'm a good girl, I am. (I totally said that in the voice of Eliza Doolittle, but you wouldn't know that from reading it, would you? Sigh. Another classic movie quote that goes by unappreciated.)


And that, my friends, is the jist of our trip to Ikea. But a word of advice - if you plan a trip yourself, don't go on the weekend that Cirque de Soleil is in town, right down the street from Ikea. You WILL get stuck in traffic, and inevitably lose your mind. That's all, Folks! 







No comments:

Post a Comment